"Persevere and don’t give up." I had a few questions to ask Jasper Ang, technology consultant in Singapore and he shared his advice for someone just getting into recruitment, the proudest moment of his career and why he chose to work at Eames. o
1. How did you get into recruitment? A change of environment, due to the current pandemic my previous industry in hospitality was highly impacted and at the same time wanted to see what else is in store. Hence decided to take a leap of faith and join recruitment and have never regretted it since day one.
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment? To persevere and don’t give up. It can be rather tough at first, but it’s all worth it.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry? I think it's that I'm really passionate that I'm helping someone with their career choice. The fulfilment in knowing that my advice on their career choices has helped them tremendously.
4. What is the proudest moment in your career to date? It was when I received an email from one of my clients thanking me for assisting them to fill up multiple new roles for their innovation lab.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career so far and how have you overcome that? I think the biggest challenge I've faced was the emotional roller coaster from changing an industry and managing expectations and reality when I first joined recruitment. However, after realizing that there are things I cannot control, this helped me in dealing with my emotions.
6. What's the best career advice you've ever been given? Rest and recharge.
7. What are you driven by, and how do you stay motivated? I won't lie and say I am not driven by the attractive commission but also receiving a thank you note from candidates or clients as well. Knowing that my job helps people, that allows me to stay motivated.
8. How do you keep a work-life balance? It is important to set a to do list daily so that I know which are the challenges I will tackle on that day and it’s also a good way to pace my time to ensure I do not overload myself in a day.
9. Why Eames? I think the biggest takeaway is the training and support that Eames has provided especially for someone new. Additionally, the friendly colleagues that I met during the interview processs really takes the cake. My impression of Eames still remains the same since day one.
10. People would be surprised if they knew? Honestly I think people or friends around me will be surprise to know that I have been in recruitment and how much I do enjoy my time in recruitment. I have always pictured myself to be in hospitality. Is funny how life takes you to places you never thought you would be in.