"Keep things simple! Do the basics right, be consistent and work hard and the placements will come."
I had a few questions to ask Nigel Ma, senior technology consultant in Singapore and he shared whats kept him in recruitment, how he keeps a work-life balance and why he chose to work at Eames.
1. How did you get into recruitment? I stumbled across a job advert on Facebook from one of my friends, a beer and a few interviews later, my career had started within recruitment.
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment? Don’t be afraid to ask questions, be inquisitive whether that is with a candidate or a client and don’t let your head drop when things aren’t going your way!
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry? Not one day is the same, you’re always speaking with different people of various backgrounds where you’re always learning. Even though I have been doing this for 7 years now, the sense of satisfaction when you help a candidate find their next career move still remains the same.
4. What is the proudest moment in your career to date? For me, my move to Singapore at the start of 2020 is probably one of my proudest and toughest moments in my career having stepped out of my comfort zone into my first leadership role. Even though the role didn’t work out and wasn’t a total success story, I can take away a number of experiences that I can learn from that will help me be successful in the future.
5. What's the biggest challenge you've faced in your career so far, and how have you overcome that? Personally, I like being in the office and being around people to share ideas and create a positive working environment. With the current pandemic and restrictions, it has meant WFH has been the default for many many months. Since joining Eames, even though we are still WFH, it is evident that with the right set-up and people, you can still create that positive environment in order to stay motivated and focussed whether that is through team incentives or just pushing each other within the team to stay active and have a good work-life balance to avoid burnout.
6. What is your number 1 secret to success? To not let things bring me down when they aren’t going my way. I’ve learnt over the years that not every offer will get accepted, not every client will want to work with me but I have stayed positive and learnt from any mistakes.
7. What's the best career advice you've ever been given? Keep things simple! Do the basics right, be consistent and work hard and the placements will come.
8. What are you driven by, and how do you stay motivated? The satisfaction of helping candidates find their next job opportunity and helping clients find talent to fill their difficult openings along with the financial benefits associated with recruitment!
9. How do you keep a work/life balance? Exercise is an important factor for me when it comes to keeping a work/life balance. Doing HIIT or Muay Thai classes helps me stay focussed and destress after a long day at work.
10. Why Eames? The people, when I interviewed with Dan and Luke, I got a positive feeling from them straight away that they’re strong leaders that will help me achieve my goals.