"Find that joy in those little successes. It keeps your spirits high and allows you to keep moving forward."
I had a few questions to ask Hester Ho, associate technology consultant in Singapore and she shared, what she is driven by, how she keeps a good work-life balance and why she chose to work at Eames.
1. How did you get into recruitment? I was having a casual conversation with a friend who was also in recruitment, she shared her experience and encounters which I thought could be suitable for me!
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment? Find that joy in those little successes. It keeps your spirits high and allows you to keep moving forward.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry? I think it's the “high” and “low” moments in recruitment. It's like a roller coaster ride every day, and to me, it's kind of exciting. But of course, hard work pays off. If you work hard for it, it will come back to you someday.
4. What's the biggest challenge you've faced in your career so far, and how have you overcome that? The 180degree change in environment from a military background to where I am now. It is not easy at the very beginning because I had never worked in the corporate world and being a tech consultant there is a lot to catch up on in terms of understanding the market and the role I am working on.
5. What is your number 1 secret to success? I believe it’s the basic rule of recruitment, get those CVs out the door!
6. What's the best career advice you've ever been given? The only way is up! So never give up!
7. What are you driven by, and how do you stay motivated? I am largely driven and motivated by rewards! Especially when I feel like I am good at what I am doing and when I show good results!
8. What do you think you would have been had you not gone into recruitment? Probably still in the navy, as a naval officer! Protecting the sea lines of communication.
9. How do you keep a work-life balance? My husband and I always try to go out on Friday nights! It drives me to power through the week and look forward to Friday!
10. Why Eames? I think Eames provides a fair system in terms of employee benefits, work-life balance and a good amount of flexibility as well as growth opportunities, good progress and results.