"The autonomy the role provides and the ups when everything is going well are pretty unbeatable."
I had a few questions to ask Thomas Davenport, senior consultant, and he shared the challenges he has faced, how he has overcome them and what’s kept him in the recruitment industry.
1. How did you get into recruitment?
I was referred by a friend. It wasn’t something I had ever considered through university but was attracted by the earning potential.
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment?
Be prepared to put in the hours, read around your market, how it works, who are the key players etc (commutes are good for this!) and keep asking questions.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry?
The financial rewards, the people (colleagues, clients and candidates!) and culture. The autonomy the role provides and the ups when everything is going well are pretty unbeatable.
I also have a genuine interest in the industry I recruit into which I believe makes the job significantly more engaging.
4. What is your proudest moment in your career to date?
Achieving two promotions in just over a year.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career so far and how have you overcome that?
Getting to grips with the lows when things are not going well. It’s easy to be hypercritical and blame yourself. The important thing is to reflect and understand the things you could have handled better and the things that were outside of your control.
6. What is your number 1 secret to success?
Having a strong work ethic and being overly competitive.
7. What are you driven by and how do you stay motivated?
Career progression, financial rewards and role development.
8. What do you think you would have been had you not gone into recruitment?
Probably digital marketing as I’d done internships in this space.
9. How do you keep a work / life balance?
Put the hours in earlier in the week so that you have more time to relax/have fun later as you get towards Friday.
10. People would be surprised if they knew?
I’m a passionate poker player and have been playing for the last 8 years!