"Always focus on the long term relationships over any short term wins."
I had a few questions to ask Andy Brown, consultant in Singapore and he shared his advice for someone just getting into recruitment, the proudest moments of his career and what keeps him driven.
1. How did you get into recruitment? I was originally searching for insurance roles in Melbourne. I engaged a recruiter to help but I became a little underwhelmed by the whole process. I saw it as potentially an opportunity for me to do it better. From there I researched the industry and was lucky enough to find a great agency that took a chance on me.
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment? Focus on meeting or building a relationship with as many people as possible within your market and treat these interactions as a longer-term relationship.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry? Being able to make a difference to someone’s career and the people and relationships you build along the way.
4. What is the proudest moment in your career to date? Moving to Asia with no network and being able to build out a career here.
5. What's the biggest challenge you've faced in your career so far, and how have you overcome that? Covid-19, obviously everyone will relate to this. For me, most of my business was typically done face to face, over coffee, in a bar etc. When lockdowns and work from home hit, I had to completely change the way I operated overnight. It was a matter of trialling new ways of working so I could still play to my strengths.
6. What is your number 1 secret to success? Always focus on the long term relationships over any short term wins.
7. What's the best career advice you've ever been given? Ask questions and never stop learning. Most of our value in this industry comes from our knowledge of the market and the relationships we have. You only get this from constantly asking questions and learning from both your candidates and clients.
8. What are you driven by, and how do you stay motivated? I’m driven by building a great lifestyle that I can enjoy and being able to help my clients and candidates achieve the same. Knowing people put their trust in me to help them with their next career move also keeps me motivated.
9. How do you keep a work/life balance? This is tricky because a lot of my friends are within the industry so social events easily blend with work. I prioritise setting aside time for myself on my days off and keep interests and friends that are also outside of my industry to avoid burning out.
10. Why Eames? Eames is excellent at tailoring an approach and working style to different markets and different consultants working styles. This means everyone can play to their own strengths and ultimately deliver the best outcome for our clients.