“Introduce yourself to everyone that you can and always look at these chats as a long term investment."
I had a few questions to ask Elliot Steen, associate director in the Hong Kong office and he shared some insight into the challenges and opportunities faced in Hong Kong.
1. How did you get into recruitment? Probably one of the less obvious routes…I landed in Hong Kong after backpacking for a year planning to settle there. I met a Rec2Rec in a bar in Lan Kwai Fong who introduced me to about 8 different recruitment firms and the chats all progressed well.
2. What is your advice for someone just getting into recruitment? Introduce yourself to everyone that you can and always look at these chats as a long term investment that may only become good in later years.
3. What is it about recruitment that has kept you in the industry? It's always different and I enjoy working with the people we do as both clients and candidates.
4. What is your proudest moment in your career to date? In my second full year at Eames I finished 2nd on the leader board just short of half a million pounds.
5. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced in your career so far and how have you overcome that? 2019 has been tough. What could have been another good year was dictated by a tough insurance market and political unrest. Staying positive and trying to diversify business have helped a bad year not become drastic.
6. What’s the best career advice you’ve ever been given? Spend time mapping your market and becoming a specialist before diving in.
7. What are you driven by and how do you stay motivated? Building and developing teams, desks and helping consultants achieve their goals.
8. How do you keep a work / life balance? I think enjoying your time at work is just as important as enjoying your time not at work. We’ve built good team and office culture so it makes working longer hours more enjoyable.
9. What’s your most overused recruitment word / phrase? Obviously...for things that probably aren’t that obvious.
10. People would be surprised if they knew? I’m actually quite a good magician.